Noise and Your Neighbors
Everyone knows there is a lot of construction going on in Hancock Park. And construction means noise. What’s an exciting project for you though can be a months’ long headache for your neighbors. So, if you’re planning construction or extensive landscaping that will last more than a day or two think of your neighbors and:
1) Let them know you’re planning construction, how long you estimate it will take and what the construction schedule is;
2) Be sure your contractor knows to limit their crews’ street parking and to be sure and not block driveways or move trash cans;
3) Provide a phone number that your neighbors can use if there is a problem.
Noise abatement is taken seriously by our City and there is a Noise Abatement Ordinance and LAPD Enforcement Team. This ordinance mandates that allowable construction hours are:
- Monday through Friday between 7AM to 9 PM
- Saturdays and National Holidays between 8AM to 6 PM
- Sundays, no construction except by residents. This means that if you are doing any work on your house on Sundays YOU, the resident, must actually be doing the work, not just supervise, not just be around the house.
The text of this ordinance can be found at http://www.lapdonline.org/special_operations_support_division/content_basic_view/1031 and, as with loud parties, the police can be called if you fail to follow the ordinance.
If you’re planning to make any changes to the street visible portion of your house, including hardscaping, and windows, check with our HPOZ Planner Suki Gershenhorn (email@example.com), before starting The HPOZ Preservation Plan, which regulates our HPOZ can be found at http://www.preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/la/hancock-park There is also an online form you can fill out to help speed up the process (http://preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/initial.screening.checklist). Report graffiti sightings by calling 311 or at the City’s Anti-Graffiti Request System - http://anti-graffiti.lacity.org/welcome.cfm?CFID=1007&CFTOKEN=411CDB4F-0FC3-4EE1-89DE58DCCB435538 and by calling Hollywood Beautification, 323-463-5180.